1-Day Milk Test
MDGA 1-Day Milk Testing 2019
Fees & Forms
An Electronic certificate will be sent for any doe earning a Star after all fees and reports have been received and calculated.
If wishing to receive a paper certificate or updated registration certificate there is a $3.00 fee for each award.
The original certificate will need to be returned to the registrar to have an updated certificate of registration sent out.
Fill out the 1-Day Test application and send with the required herd fee for each test date plus the fee per doe to MDGA at least 2 weeks prior to test date.
MDGA 1-Day Milk Testing fees are:
$10 herd fee
+ $3 per doe on test
All testers are required to measure those does on milk test and place measurements on the form to be turned into MDGA & your lab.
Does measurements are required in order to be eligible for a milk star Award.
Rules & Regulations
- Only certified testers may preside over a one-day test. MDGA has a tester certification available. No Owners or family members or those that own goats from your herd are allowed to be certified testers.
- The doe must be on the premises where the test is held during the entire period of the test.
- Each does height will be officially measured and recorded on the barn sheet by the tester.
- Three milk outs will be conducted 12 hours apart.
- The first is a milk out, with no samples taken. The milk weight will be recorded but not used to calculate the final score.
- Samples and weights will be taken from the second and third milk outs. These will be used to calculate the final score.
- The original result sheet from the lab will be sent directly to MDGA after the butterfat has been calculated.
- For miniature does, a score of 70 or more points (figured to the thousandths place, rounded to the nearest whole number) will be required to receive a Production Star (*P). For Nigerian Dwarf does, a score of 55 or more points (figured to the thousandths place, rounded to the nearest whole number) will be required to receive a Production Star (*P)
Scores will be calculated using the following formula:
- Multiply pounds of milk by 5.55
- Multiply pounds of milk by butterfat, times 1.11
- Multiply days since freshening by .0555.
- Add totals for final score.
a doe at 43 days fresh with 5.6 pounds of milk at 4.5% fat:
- 5.6 x 5.55 = 31.08
- 5.6 x 4.5 x 1.11 = 27.9720 (rounded to 27.97)
- 43 x .0555 = 2.3865 (rounded to 2.387)
- 31.080 + 27.97 + 2.387 = 61.437 (rounded to 61)
This Mini doe does not receive a Star; however, a Nigerian doe would earn a star with this score.